Museum of Beadwork Challenge
Starting in 1998, Caravan Beads and Miyuki sponsored a series of juried beadwork contests. We revisiting the Delica Challenges and are teaming up with Miyuki Co., Ltd. and Caravan Beads to bring you the first Museum of Beadwork Challenge. In addition to prizes, selected entries will be invited to join the opening exhibition for the Museum in 2022.
Grand Prize Winner
Petalura by Sara Hall
8 x 6 inches
Sculpture Category Winner
Grasshopper by Delia Carmen Cepoi
18.5 x 8 x 6.5 inches
Clothing Category Winner
Beetlemania by Mary Zimmerman
Tapestry Category Winner
Life on the Wing by Katharine Claringbould
16 x 20 inches unframed, 16.5 x 20.5 framed.
Jewelry Category Winner
Oleander Hawk Moth - Life Cycle of Daphnis Nerii by Karmen Schmidt
Accessory Category Winner
Adaptation by Melissa Shippee
9 x 8 x 3 inches
Judge's Choice Winner
OGG: Old Green Grasshopper by Melanie Christie
30 x 15 x 24 inches
Judge's Choice Winner
The Firefly Queen by Melanie Chouinard
15 x 8.5 x 6.5 inches
Judge's Choice Winner
Oasis by Lynne Sausele
5.75 x 5.75 x 3 inches
We received an abundance of incredible entries and it was a very difficult decision to choose among these stunning pieces of art. We extend our utmost appreciation to all applicants for your hard work and the creativity that you have shown. We hope that you will participate in future Museum challenges and contests, and keep on creating beautiful beadwork!
The following artists will have their entries included in the Wings & Stings exhibition:
Deborah C Mosch
Delia Carmen Cepoi
Nancy Erickson Dutmer
Suzanne Van Baarsen
The MOB Challenge will have 5 categories:
Sculpture - Free standing 3-dimensional pieces.
Tapestry - Hanging/wall pieces, or framed work, generally 2-dimensional.
Clothing - Embroidered or constructed garments.
Accessories - Purses, shoes, masks, etc.
Jewelry - Body adornment other than clothing or accessory items.
- All entries must evoke the challenge theme for this year: Wings & Stings: Exploring the World of Beaded Bugs
This year’s theme is insects; actual representations, larger than life, inspiration from, or any other interpretation you can envision. The Museum of Beadwork is researching the history of collections & museums by delving into the world of entomology. So start buzzing with creativity and bring forth your swarm of ideas!
- One entry per person. Entries must be made by a single person, no group entries allowed.
- All entries must be of original design, and winning designs from another jewelry contest may not be submitted.
- Any beading technique or combination of techniques may be used.
- All entries must be comprised primarily of Miyuki beads (75% or higher). Any Miyuki beads are acceptable, not just Delica beads. If you are unsure about the beads you have, contact your supplier or Caravan Beads for help.
- This is an international competition, entries from all countries are encouraged.
- There is no size limitation for this competition. Just remember that if your entry is chosen you will be expected to cover the shipping to and from Portland, Maine.
- The initial judging is based on digital images. Each entry can submit up to 10 images.
- The selected entrants from this initial round will be required to send in or deliver their completed pieces in order to be considered for the final judging.
- If your entry requires special display fixtures you are expected to send those as well, along with clear and simple instructions for display. If you have questions about special display needs, please contact us directly.
- Selected entries will be invited to exhibit in the Grand Opening of the Museum of Beadwork.
- All applications, entrance fees, and photos must be received no later than midnight on 4/30/2021.
Grand prize - $500 cash prize plus $500 Caravan Beads Gift Certificate
Best of category (5 prizes, one in each category) - $300 Caravan Beads Gift Certificate
Judges Choice (1 from each judge from any category) - $150 Caravan Beads Gift Certificate
People’s choice (This award will be given after the opening of the Exhibition as it will be chosen by votes from the Grand Opening Gala and museum attendees ) - $150 Caravan Beads Gift Certificate
Judges’ decisions are final. Entries will be judged on
- Overall visual presence
- Use of beads
- Connection to the theme
- All entrants will be informed via email whether they have been selected for the final round of judging or not.
- If you are selected for the final round you will also receive email notification with details on how to proceed.
- The Museum of Beadwork, Caravan Beads, Inc, and Miyuki co., Ltd. retain the right to photograph all entries and use those photographs as well as any photography entered into the competition in any lawful way including (but not limited to) publicity, marketing, publication, exhibitions, etc. in perpetuity with full credit to the artist.
- Employees, Owners and Board members of The Museum of Beadwork, Caravan Beads, Inc. and Miyuki Co., Ltd. are not eligible to participate in the competition.