Museum of Beadwork Challenge
In 1998 and again in 2000, Caravan Beads sponsored a juried beading contest titled the International Miyuki Delica Challenge. As a kick off event, we will be teaming up with Miyuki Co., Ltd. and Caravan Beads to bring you the first Museum of Beadwork Challenge. In addition to prizes, selected entries will be invited to join the opening exhibition for the Museum in 2021.
Applications and up to 10 photos of your finished piece should be sent to: email@example.com with the subject line of: MOB Challenge application. You will receive an email confirmation within 5 days.
The MOB Challenge will have 5 categories:
Sculpture - Free standing 3-dimensional pieces.
Tapestry - Hanging/wall pieces, or framed work generally 2-dimensional.
Clothing - Embroidered or constructed garments.
Accessories - Purses, shoes, masks, etc.
Jewelry - Body adornment other than clothing or accessory items.
- All entries must evoke the challenge theme for this year: Wings & Stings: Exploring the World of Beaded Bugs
This year’s theme is insects; actual representations, larger than life, inspiration from, or any other interpretation you can envision. The Museum of Beadwork is researching the history of collections & museums by delving into the world of entomology. So start buzzing with creativity and bring forth your swarm of ideas!
- One entry per person. Entries must be made by a single person, no group entries allowed.
- All entries must be of original design, and winning designs from another jewelry contest may not be submitted.
- Any beading technique or combination of techniques may be used.
- All entries must be comprised primarily of Miyuki beads (75% or higher). Any Miyuki beads are acceptable, not just Delica beads. If you are unsure about the beads you have, contact your supplier or Caravan Beads for help.
- This is an international competition, entries from all countries are encouraged.
- There is no size limitation for this competition. Just remember that if your entry is chosen you will be expected to cover the shipping to and from Portland, Maine.
- The initial judging is based on digital images. Each entry can submit up to 10 images.
- The selected entrants from this initial round will be required to send in or deliver their completed pieces in order to be considered for the final judging.
- If your entry requires special display fixtures you are expected to send those as well, along with clear and simple instructions for display. If you have questions about special display needs, please contact us directly.
- Selected entries will be invited to exhibit in the Grand Opening of the Museum of Beadwork.
- All applications, entrance fees, and photos must be received no later than midnight on 6/15/2020.
Grand prize - $500 cash prize plus $500 Caravan Beads Gift Certificate
Best of category (5 prizes, one in each category) - $300 Caravan Beads Gift Certificate
Judges Choice (1 from each guest judge from any category) - $150 Caravan Beads Gift Certificate
People’s choice (This award will be given after the opening of the Exhibition as it will be chosen by votes from the Grand Opening Gala and museum attendees ) - $150 Caravan Beads Gift Certificate
Judges’ decisions are final. Entries will be judged on
- Overall visual presence
- Use of beads
- Connection to the theme
- The judges will be announced by May, 2020.
- All entrants will be informed via email whether they have been selected for the final round of judging or not.
- If you are selected for the final round you will also receive email notification with details on how to proceed.
- The Museum of Beadwork, Caravan Beads, Inc, and Miyuki Shoji co., Ltd. retain the right to photograph all entries and use those photographs as well as any photography entered into the competition in any lawful way including (but not limited to) publicity, marketing, publication, exhibitions, etc. in perpetuity with full credit to the artist.
- Employees, Owners and Board members of The Museum of Beadwork, Caravan Beads, Inc. and Miyuki Shoji Co., Ltd. are not eligible to participate in the competition.